Units Markup Language (UnitsML)
UnitsML was a project underway to develop a schema for encoding scientific units of measure
in XML. A database (UnitsDB) containing extensive information
about scientific units was developed to accompany the schema.
Technical Committee was created to address any needed changes in the schema and publish a final recommendation.
- Two-page Description
(May 2006; PDF 173 kB)
- UnitsML Schema Information:
CSD schema, and
changes for UnitsML, Ver. 1.0-csd04.
[Lite Documentation and Schema (0.9.18)]
- Example of concise documentation generated with a style sheet.
- Guidelines for the Use of Units Markup Language: PDF
- Naming and Design Rules - Version 1.0
& Rules only
- UnitsML Presentations:
Working Group Meeting (September 11, 2011;
PPT | PDF)
- Overview slides used in the 1st OASIS TC Meeting
(July 12, 2006; PDF 470 kB)
- Sixth Open Forum on Metadata Registries
(Jan 2003; PPT 450 kB)
- "Improving Interoperability
by Incorporating UnitsML into Markup Languages"
(Jan-Feb 2010; PDF 1.2 MB)
- UnitsDB Entity Relationship Model
This project was supported in part by NIST's Systems
Integration for Manufacturing Applications (SIMA) Program.